My Favorite Funny Canadian(Info Source)Russell Dominic Peters (born September 29, 1970) is a Canadian comedian, actor and disc jockey. He began performing in Toronto in 1989 and has been nominated for four Gemini Awards.
Russell Peters was born in Brampton, Ontario, Canada to Eric and Maureen Peters. His family is of Anglo-Indian ancestry and is Catholic. His father was born in Bombay, Maharashtra, India, and worked as a federal meat inspector; he is regularly mentioned and featured in his comedy work. His mother was born in Calcutta, West Bengal, India. He has an older brother named James who was born in England. Russell attended Chinguacousy Secondary School for grades 9–10, and North Peel Secondary School for grades 11–12 in Brampton.
Peters began performing in Toronto in 1989. Peters’ popularity extends to several countries. He has since also performed in the United Kingdom, United States, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Afghanistan, Sweden, South Africa, India, the Caribbean, Philippines, Vietnam, mainland China, The Bahamas, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, France, Singapore, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Jordan, Norway, Lebanon, Oman, Pakistan, Malaysia, and Trinidad among other places.
Peters attribute performance he did on the Canadian TV comedy series Comedy Now! that was uploaded onto YouTube and became viral.While the initial video upload featured his performance in its 45 minute entirety, subsequent videos uploaded by other YouTube users were snippets of that performance, chopped into each of the cultural groups he targeted. According to Peters, those snippets made their way to those specified cultural groups, and were well received by them.
• Sold-out: Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall (twice), The Nokia Theatre Los Angeles (twice), Sydney Opera House, The Hammersmith Apollo (four times), London’s O2 Arena, General Motors Place Vancouver, The Saddle Dome Calgary, Rexall Centre Edmonton, The Bell Centre Montreal (highest attendance record, comedy) and the first comedian to sell-out the Air Canada Centre (four times)
• Winner of a Gemini Award for Best Host or Performance in a Variety Series, for hosting the 2008 Juno Awards and four time Gemini Award nominee
• Hosted the Juno Awards (Canadian Grammys) 2008 and 2009
• Sold one ticket every two seconds in Dubai in 2007 with over 10,000 in attendance in 2008
• Performed with Dave Chapelle, Dane Cook, Jon Lovitz, Craig Ferguson, George Carlin, Tracy Morgan, Chris Tucker, Dana Gould, Kenny Robinson, Damon Wayans, DL Hughley, Lewis Black, Ralphie May, Angelo Tsarouchas, Jo Koy, Kevin Nealon
• Host of Showtime’s Comics Without Borders and Russell Peters Presents
• Appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Jimmy Kimmel Live, Comedy Central, Craig Ferguson, Lopez Tonight, Showtime, HBO, MTV, BBC, CNN International and Al Jazeera
• USO tours in Iraq, Afghanistan, Djibouti, Greenland, Pearl Harbour, USS Eisenhower and the HMCS Winnipeg
• Appeared at HBO’s Aspen Comedy Festival, The Las Vegas Comedy Festival, Just For Laughs Montreal and Chicago, Edinburgh Festival
• Latest DVD, Red, White and Brown recorded live at Madison Square Garden
• Recently appeared in the film Source Code, directed by Duncan Jones and starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Vera Farmiga and JefferyWright
• Call Me Russell, released October 2010 by Doubleday Canada charted at number one on the Globe and Mail Non-Fiction Bestseller List
• In development of a new sitcom for NBC, I’m With Russell
• New DVD and TV special, “THE GREEN CARD TOUR: Live from the O2 Arena” releasing May, 2011