Bean Thinkin’ of You!
I have to tell you this little story because it will help you understand how good this salad really is.
|Three Bean Salad
edible gift surprise
by paulina constancia
Recipe of Shirley Wortman
My husband and I had just returned from a trip to his hometown and my sister came by for a little visit. I gave her a jar of this bean salad which my mother-in-law had sent for her. My sister was thrilled since she loves this salad. Well, after the visit,off she went. Minutes later, one of our neighbours knocked on our door and he asked if I had a sister named..so and so. And I said “Yeah”. “Well, the lift has stalled and she’s stuck in there. I just heard her screaming and banging at the door and thought I’d let you know. I have already phoned the building maintenance office and they’re sending a service person over.”
After over an hour, the service person arrived and freed my sister from the confines of the monster elevator. When she got out she was still clutching her bean salad and boy did she have a story to tell.
She said she badly needed to use the washroom and didn’t know what to do. She had the dilemma of either throwing out the bean salad and peeing in the jar or eating all the bean salad and then peeing in the jar. She said she was glad that the repair person arrived when he did otherwise she would’ve had to make a terrible decision either way.
THREE BEAN SALAD
1 can cut green beans
1 can cut yellow beans
1 can kidney beans (rinsed)
red and yellow bell pepper
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup vinegar
1/3 cup salad oil
1 tsp each salt & pepper
- Mix marinade ingredients in a medium sized bowl, set aside.
- Combine all beans and vegetables in a large salad bowl.
- Pour in marinade and mix well.
- Store in the fridge at least 4 hours before consuming. If you’re leaving it in the fridge overnight, stir bean salad in the morning to make sure marinade flavour soaks in evenly.
Preparing Your Bean Salad for Gifting
canning jar or old pasta sauce jar
quilting or upholstery fabric (thick)
gold elastic strings
4″ x 6″ photo paper
single hole puncher
- Scan or take a photo of your fabric.
- Crop portion of the jpeg file you want to use and add the text “Bean Thinkin’ Of You! Print.
- Fold and punch hole. Set aside.
- Using a round or square pattern cut-out your fabric with pinking shears.
- Fill the jar with the bean salad and close lid tightly.
- Tie the fabric around the lid with the elastic string and add the card and finally tie a bow!
Your bean salad is now ready to give to somebody you love!